December 11, 2012

cupcakes and chocolate buttons

The idea of serving cupcakes at Claire's birthday appealed to me this year because cupcakes are so quick and they instantly look cute with some icing and decorative paper cups. I found these baking pearls that I love, because you simply drop them on the icing and they stick instantly; they don't roll around at all. (I should say, they don't roll around on the icing....they roll around on the floor quite well when you get "help" in the kitchen). :-)




For Claire's cake, I used a 6" baking ring pan. It took longer to cook than normal, but I think it is because it is so deep, so plan on doubling the time on a smaller deep pan. I recently learned the trick to a smooth looking cake. Most cakes "dome" when you bake them. Before icing, let cake cool completely then take a cake saw, or serrated knife, and cut the top off the cake so it is level across. Then ice as you normally would.

I also found this cute button fondant mold, but did not want fondant on the cake, so I used colored chocolate from Wilton. I followed the chocolate directions for warming, then spooned the chocolate in the mold and let cool in the refrigerator. After icing my cake, I put the chocolate buttons on the cake and also used some of the aforementioned pearls.


Here is Claire eating her cake. She insisted on using her fork the whole time and didn't want to get messy. Her Papa even took the fork away, and she stared at him - not touching her cake - until he gave it back. She never did get really messy.


A year has gone so fast.
I love you, my little dear.


2 comments:

  1. It has been a fast year. I love this Little Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a more beautiful cake. I love how you used the fondant mold and used chocolate. Wow. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...