December 13, 2012

fat quarter project

More handmade Christmas ideas, this time using a fat quarter. A fat quarter is a quarter of a yard of fabric, and they measure 18" x 22". I have a little niece coming soon and wanted to make something for Momma A. I found some cute coordinating fat quarter pieces and went to work.

The first thing I made was two burp cloths. I quartered my fabrics and rounded the corners. Next, I faced the top sides together and sewed the edges, leaving a little space to invert, just as you would a pillow. Then I stitched around the outside to close the hole and put a border around the cloth. Finally, I worked on light-colored fabric and sewed a basic design that matched a pattern in the fabric. It helps the fabric not to seperate after washing or using several time.





I used the same fabrics to make a bib. I cut the design out of both fabrics and put back-sides together. I applied my velcro in the top corner. (I use the velcro that has adhesive on the back to you can place it where you want it and sew in fast later.) I then sewed my edging on using a coordinating blue.


All done. Pretty quick and easy, but oh, so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...