March 14, 2013

a new day dawning

Even though it is not very warm yet, the sun and blue skies make it seem like spring is just around the corner. I always want to clear my gardens a little sooner than I should, so I am trying to avoid the urge this year to start too soon. I did get outside and check my bulbs. My daffodils are starting to shoot up, and much to my amazement, I found a few lovely crocus in bloom. They are an early indicator that spring is here, along with the return of the vultures and the snakes. 

daffodil heads popping up

my surprise crocus

I also keep a gardening scrapbook full of notes on the plants and trees I have, where they came from, when I planted them.....I also have drawings of my gardens so I know where certain plants should pop up each year. It is a work in progress, but it has been so helpful. When I purchase flowers through a catalog, I clip their picture and write-up and paste it in my book. When I buy a potted plant, I put the plant tag in the book. I have kept my seed packets, but I haven't started putting them in yet....that's a job for this year. 

my notes on taking care of my Ficus tree

my original garden layout and sketch

early garden shed ideas

plant tags and plant descriptions
seed packets for saving my seeds this year

3 comments:

  1. I think I may borrow this idea, if that's ok. :)
    I hope you enjoy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the idea from another person, so I am glad good ideas keep getting passed around. I am glad to share things to make life easier. Enjoy your spring as well!!!

      Delete
  2. I keep a garden journel too! My dad picks on me for it, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...