We were at the farm recently and I wanted to take a walk in the field to look for arrowheads before the ground gets worked and the field planted. I had my little man with me, and for some reason he thought we were looking for corn. (It had been planted in corn last year….) He wandered behind me for awhile.
"Mom, I can't find any corn."
"Alright, son."
We walked to the edge of the field. Whack!
Whack. Whack.
I turned around. What is he doing?
I was half tempted to tell him to quit hitting the corn stubble, then he stated to me:
"I'm getting the bad guys for you." He smiled so big and gripped his make-shift sword from a corn stalk and continued to whack away.
"Don't go too far Mom. I'm your protector." Whack Whack.
"Oh no. The bad guys broke my sword!"
I turned around, waiting patiently as he stripped another stalk back to get a new sword.
"Ok, you can go now." Whack, whack. "Oh, they got me!"
We stop. I say to him: "Pick up your sword. Don't give up now. Don't let the bad guys win."
He whacks away for a few more rows. "Ha, Ugh, Yah!" Whack, whack.
A few steps more, I ask my little prince, "Are you alright?"
His cheeks are bright red; he is breathing hard.
"Yes, Mom. I'm going to get all those bad guys for you. I'm strong. I'm your protector."
He gave it all he had, whacking away at the corn stubble with his sword. He was proud of his work. We walked to the edge of the field and hopped on the golf cart. He put his arm around my neck and gave me a kiss.
He smiled big and said, "You are my beauty…….and I'm your prince."
I didn't find any arrowheads, but I found something even better. My little four-year-old son fought a valiant battle and won….and he showed his mother that the greatest battle for a man is fighting for what he loves. He was never taught to be this way, but his Creator instilled this into him. And I am proud he wants to be a protector.
No comments:
Post a Comment