January 17, 2013

holly: ethiopia

My second ministry feature will be on my friend, Holly, twin-sister to Noel, whom I featured earlier this month. Holly is serving in Ethiopia. When I first met these girls they were serving together at a local church; Noel worked with children and Holly worked with youth. They would tell these amazing stories of places all over the world they had been on mission, sometimes together, sometimes independently. They are the only children in their family and have the sweetest parents, Jim and Rosie. The girls told this story of when their dad visited them while they were living in Haiti. He is a die-hard golfer and brought his clubs when he visited them. Who knows where he was planning to golf, but he brought them anyway. He found a metal roofed house in their village and began whacking the golf balls off the roof. That's Jim.

Holly and Noel

Holly was one of the first people I told after Jeremy and I were engaged. Jeremy was counseling a group of high-school boys at the time, and I volunteered when needed to teach youth seminars and talk with teen girls. She told me, "If something special happens, use the code 'bling' to let me know." We were meeting soon after my engagement, and I said, "By the way, "BLING." The biggest smile came across her face and, as only Holly can do, she showed her joy.

I'd like to share a bit from her blog, www.crosstrainafrica888.blogspot.com.
Sometimes I think we feel like we can’t approach {God} because we’re too dirty or too guilty- or not cleaned up enough. I remember many times staying away from “churches” or “fellowships” because I wasn’t where I needed to be in my relationship with God. I didn’t think Him or others would appreciate me coming that way. And of course, I liked those things not being known. Thankfully, because of Jesus, our sins can no longer separate us from God. Jesus paid for our sins…so we can approach God with full confidence. Sometimes we try to clean up or mask our “issues.” Here in Ethiopia, people cover up in shawls and blankets. But I believe God wants us to press in to Him, confidently. Our closeness to Him is up to us. He knows us to the core of who we are. He sees us. And still loves us. Amazing!
Village life in Ethiopia
When Holly arrived in Ethiopia in 2011, she described life there like this: "I think when you shake off the fast pace of the western world and slow down to really breathe, walk, and connect with people...days seem much more full and you feel much more tired too."
students in the class she teaches
Holly uses a free time during her English classes to allow students to talk, and she uses it as an opportunity to share God-moments with her students while helping them learn English. Check out her blog for more on what she is doing in Ethiopia. She takes everyday experiences and finds the truths from God's word to apply.
A servants heart. Obedience and a willingness to go where Jesus calls. A true heart of a missionary.


2 comments:

  1. I love that quote! I look forward to full days and feeling more tired. It will be a different tired. A fulfilling tired. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited that you too will get to have so many experiences, for a full life in Christ. The many people you will see and reach will be something special to remember always. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...