September 5, 2012

a green find

Today at times felt like a mad rush to get everything on my list done, from teaching my daughter the date, to cleaning the inside of the car.....and somewhere in the middle of the day I remembered I needed to check my tomatoes too. I was picking away at the tomatoes when I looked at my pepper plants...I was so excited! This was my first year growing green peppers. (I actually had forgotten about them). I guess it is the little joys during the day that make me stop and appreciate all I have been given.



To celebrate my find, I will share a recipe. This was a recipe my mom learned in Home Ec when she was in high school.

Johnny Marzetti

1 - 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 medium onion, diced
1 package egg noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 green pepper, diced
1/4 pound cheese
1 cup bread crumbs, buttered

Brown meat and onion in skillet. Add green peppers. Cook noodles and combine with meat mixture. Add tomato soup and mushroom soup. Put in 9x13 casserole dish. Add cheese on top to lightly cover, then add bread crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Extending your harvest: I keep green peppers in the freezer by washing them, quartering and removing seeds. Put in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite ways to use our peppers and tomatoes is to can stewed tomatoes. I have a recipe on my blog for them if you have an abundance. Thanks for this recipe!
    I also heard a rumor that we might be seeing more of you and the children on Fridays. The girls are excited to see 'sissy'.
    ~Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link to Jennie's stewed tomatoes.

    jennie-warner.blogspot.com/2011/08/stewed-tomatoes.html

    Thanks....they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...